The 67th Emmy Awards, which were televised on Sunday, Sept. 20, were noteworthy for several reasons, including the first-ever win for a black actress in a leading role in a dramatic series—Viola Davis in the ABC’s outlandish How to Get Away with Murder—and a Best Actor award (finally!) for Jon Hamm’s iconic performance as Don Draper in Mad Men.
The unusually warm California weather (said to top 100 degrees!) was also a big topic of conversation, as the stars did their best to keep from wilting as they exited their vehicles and walked the red carpet toward the Nokia Theatre in L.A.
Here’s our report on whose hair and makeup came shining through, cool as cucumbers!
Bobbing for compliments
The biggest look of the evening, by far, was the bob. In a stroke of luck for these celebs, the cropped-hair look is not only easier to wear in hot weather, but it’s also versatile and can be styled in myriad different ways. For instance:
- Fierce actress Taraji P. Henson of Fox’s Empire (above) was even fiercer in a sleek, angled bob and frosted lips (a mix of L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipcolour in Brazil Nut and Golden Splendor) to go with her sheer black Alexander Wang gown.
- Jaimie Alexander, the lead in the new NBC series The Blindspot, was one of several stars that wore their bob in a sleek, slicked-back style—all the more to play up her sparkly, multi-hued Armani Prive gown.
- Claire Danes (above), a frequent awards favorite for her fearless acting in Showtime’s Homeland, went more classic, with her blonde locks fashioned into a “Grace Kelly goes to Palm Springs” curled-under bob. Chanel makeup in the Healthy Glow line was applied for a flawless look atop her mauve sequined dress from Prada.
- Young actress Sarah Hyland (above) of ABC’s Modern Family went the sophisticated route with a tousled, choppy bob, dramatic makeup (thanks to Dior products including Addict lipstick in Tailleur Bar) and an off-the-shoulder, form-fitting Zac Posen dress in maroon red.
- Even the glamorous star of Scandal on ABC, Kerry Washington (on home page), got in on the bob action! She rocked a faux bob by having her hair pinned up into an asymmetrical style with wispy tendrils that perfectly played up her sheer metallic Marc Jacobs number with shoulder embellishments and a thigh-high split up one side.
Up, up and away
Updos, which ruled the red carpet at last year’s Emmys, also made an appearance but much less so. Here are a couple of the most winning looks for hair and makeup:
- Actress Anna Chlumsky, of HBO’s Veep, paired a funky upswept hairstyle with a chic nude lip over her cream-colored Bibhu Mohapatra and Chopard gown.
- Best-dressed bait Heidi Klum (above), the supermodel host of Project Runway on Lifetime, chose an intricate, lemon-yellow Atelier Versace gown that made some “worst-dressed” lists. However, her low, intricately knotted chignon, smoky eyes and neutral lips certainly turned heads in good way!
The long and long of it
Of course, long hair will always be big in Hollywood, so a number of actresses showed up with long, flowing locks. Among them:
- Emma Roberts, a star of the new Fox series Scream Queens, went old-school glam in sideswept, cascading platinum waves with natural makeup by Avon (including Ultra Color Indulgence lipstick in Honey Flower) and a plunging Jenny Packham gown.
- Christina Hendricks (AMC’s Mad Men), above, wore her signature red hair in loose curls that fell softly around her face, which was set off by Sephora lip stain in Always Red and Blackberry Sorbet. The hairdo complemented the metallic-studded gown by Naeem Khan that hugged her famous curves to perfection.
Want to get Christina's sexy, tousled waves? Check out our step-by-step for Romantic Curls!